The Sprague Scholarship for 2020 has already been awarded
The Marshall and E.J. Sprague Scholarship is made possible through an endowment to the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum Foundation in honor of Marshall and E.J. Sprague. Each year one $3,000 scholarship will be awarded to a high school student competing as an individual in the Colorado Springs Regional History Day competition held at Colorado College. The scholarship is intended for college-related expenses. Student projects will be judged by their historical quality, the clarity of their presentation, and their demonstrated passion for history.
The 2020 Sprague Scholarship Deadline has Passed. Please visit this web page next year for an updated application.
This scholarship is restricted to participants who are:
- Currently in 9th through 12th grade;
- Competing as an individual in any category at the annual Regional History Day competition held at Colorado College;
- Have not previously been awarded the Sprague scholarship.
A statement of agreement must be signed by the scholarship recipient and a parent or guardian acknowleding an intention to attend a two- or four-year, degree-granting, accredited institution and that the money will be used for college-related expenses. Students are not restricted to any specific major.
Scholarship Guidelines and Requirements
For 2020, the Sprague Scholarship winner has already been selected. Please visit the CSPM website for any updates to the applications process next year.
- Please note that only the first 12 applications will be considered for the scholarship. Submission order will be tracked by the time stamp on the online application.
- Please complete an online application form:
- Each application should include the name and email address of one adult who is willing to complete an online recommendation form for the candidate. This should be a teacher or administrator familiar with the applicant’s academics and volunteer or work activities.
- In addition to the online application, the following materials also need to be included:
- ALL CATEGORIES (except papers): A copy of the process paper and an annotated bibliography
- PAPERS: A copy of the paper entry (including the annotated bibliography)
- DOCUMENTARIES: Including a YouTube link of the film in your application is preferred. Alternatively applicants may drop off a disc or flash drive with the film.
- Successful applications will be reviewed by the scholarship committee. The decision of this committee is final.
- Scholarship winner will be announced at the Regional History Day award ceremony. Applicants are strongly encouraged to attend the ceremony.