Saturday, October 8 • 11am - 3pm
In celebration of Arts Month 2022, explore, experience, and engage with different varieties of dance at the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum’s Day of Dance Family Fun Day. Featuring local dance studios, the community is invited to enjoy free performances, activity booths, and workshops. Also visit the new Story of Us exhibit displays, “D = Dance” and “E = Esther Geoffrey,” honoring Esther Geoffrey’s 36-year dance program of at Colorado College.
Join us for the Day of Dance Family Fun Day
Stage #1 (Main Lobby)
- 11am – A Time to Dance
- 12pm – Ormao
- 1pm – Shakti Dance School
- 2pm – Dance Wonderland
Stage #2 (Upper Level)
- 11:30am – Ballet Folklorico de Barajas
- 12:30pm – Barbara Ellis Studio of Dance
- 1:30pm – Colorado Ballet Society
- 2:30pm – Ballet Folklorico de la Raza
Family Workshops (Henderson Room)
- 11:30am – Family Movement Class with Dance Wonderland
- 12:30pm – Family Zumba Class
- 1:00pm – Family Movement Class with Barbara Ellis Studio of Dance
- 1:30pm – Family Zumba Class
- 2:00pm – Family Movement Class with Ballet de Projeciones Folkloricas Panamanain
- 2:30pm – Mudras, the graceful hand gestures of Indian Classical Dance with Shakti Dance School
A Time to Dance
A Time to Dance exists to instruct, encourage and inspire students in their season of dance to ‘make His praises glorious’, while assisting each student in achieving their full potential technically and artistically to reach their dance goals. A Time To Dance will present a selection of original choreography representing ballet, Hungarian character and contemporary dance styles.
Ballet Folklorico de Barajas
Ballet Folklorico de Barajas dancers perform traditional dances from various regions throughout Mexico. They teach and exhibit complex footwork and movements. Their costumes are vibrant and elaborate in detail. During the performance they will share details about the dances, regions and attire as a means of engaging the audience into the depth and Folklorico dance and its history. Their dance students range from ages 4 and up and their performing students are ages 8 and older.
Ormao Dance Company is an innovative, inclusive and noncompetitive home for dance and the arts in downtown Colorado Springs. Ormao’s mission statement is threefold:
- To provoke, challenge, and entertain those in our community and beyond through the creative language of dance.
- To encourage diversity and experimentation in the arts.
- To enrich and enhance cultural opportunities within southern Colorado’s communities and schools by spear-heading initiatives that bring dance to the public and programs that educate people of all ages.
Barabara Ellis Studio of Dance
Barbara Ellis Studio of Dance, now entering our 63rd year, is a family owned & operated place for families to feel at home. We pride ourselves in nurturing and educating “for the love of dance” in conjunction with our competitive/ young professional program. Education and developing organizational skills, confidence, athleticism, in a positive environment are our top priorities. We are proud to serve our community from age 3 to adult.
Shakti Dance School
At the Shakti Dance School in Colorado Springs, AuroTejas Hemsell teaches Odissi, East Indian classical Dance, Bollywood Dance, and Zumba. Tejas has studied Indian Classical Dance from the age of 5 and has dedicated her life to studying, teaching and performing cultural dance.
Colorado Ballet Society
Colorado Ballet Society, and its pre-professional performing ensembles, Colorado Youth Ballet and Connexus Dance Collective, have become southern Colorado’s leader in dance training and performance. CBS serves aspiring dancers from pre-school to professional in ballet, contemporary, Broadway, jazz, tap and hip hop.
Dance Wonderland is a professional dance studio specializing in dance instruction and entertainment. Founded in 2017 by Naomi Skee after her husband was stationed in Colorado Springs with the U.S. Air Force. We offer private lessons, group lessons, choreography and professional theatrical performances in the following dance styles:
Ballroom – Latin – Country – Swing – Tap – Jazz – Musical Theater
Ballet Folklorico de la Raza
Ballet Folklorico de la Raza is a Mexican folklorico dance group founded by Connie Solano de Benavidez; serving the Pikes Peak region since 1994.