Junior Docent Program
The application window for the 2017 Junior Docent Program is now open!
Do you love history? Are you looking for a rewarding challenge this summer? Enthusiastic students entering grades 6 through 12 are invited to apply* for the summer 2017 Junior Docent program. Junior Docents in the program become educators for the summer, introducing visitors from around the globe to the unique history of the Pikes Peak region.
*Past participation in the Junior Docent program does not guarantee acceptance into this year’s program.
Junior Docents are trained to:
- interpret exhibits,
- handle and share information on historic artifacts,
- lead craft and demonstration activities,
- and interact with visitors of many ages and backgrounds.
Benefits of the Junior Docent program include:
- gaining a better understanding of regional history,
- the opportunity to develop important communication and public speaking skills while engaging with a diverse audience,
- and a chance to meet other history-loving students like you!
Placement in the 2017 Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum Junior Docent program is selective and is dependent on several factors including strength of interview, age, maturity, interest, and scheduling availability.
- Thursday, March 23, 2017: Application window opens. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- Saturday, May 6: Applications are due by 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, May 20: Interviews. *We will confirm your interview time after all application materials are received.
- Wednesday, May 24: Applicants are notified of acceptance into program.
- Saturday, June 3: Required orientation and training day. One parent/guardian must attend the morning orientation session.
- Tuesday, June 6: First Day of volunteer shifts.
- Friday, July 28: Last day of volunteer shifts.
- Saturday, July 22 – 10:30am-1:30pm: Junior Docent Party in Manitou Springs, CO.
EXPECTATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
All students accepted to the program are required to:
- Complete a Volunteer Profile with the City of Colorado Springs
- Attend an orientation and training with one parent/guardian on Saturday, June 3, 2017 (Returning Junior Docents are also required to attend)
- Submit a program fee of $85 ($65 for members, limited scholarships available). The program fee helps to offset the costs of t-shirts, program supplies, and staff time.
- Volunteer for a minimum of 20 shifts throughout the course of the program.
- Shifts: Tuesdays- Saturdays (Shift #1: 10:30 a.m to 1:00 p.m., Shift #2: 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.)
- Junior Docents run our “Weekend Warm-Up” program Fridays from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Junior Docents are also required to volunteer at at least two museum programs during the 2017-18 school year
- Other Volunteer Opportunities:
- Children’s History Hour (10:00 a.m. to Noon.): June 21, June 24, July 19
- Colorado Grown Festival (10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.): Saturday, July 29